Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Four months that transformed my world


From childhood I used see my people around me becoming gold medalist and scholars. The usual topic of conversations in my house used to be about people going out of the national borders and excelling in their fields. Those were the days when brain drain was one of the biggest challenge in front of Indian government. That time I had only one question in my mind “when will I get a chance to see the western world”, it was like a childhood fantasy for my childhood dreams and the only answer that I could get was kid study hard get scholarship and then go. These lines were engraved in my mind somehow and throughout I used to search for international opportunities. All my dreams come true on the night of November 18, 2011 at 2:00 AM in the morning when I got a mail from The Washington Center about my acceptance to their “Prudential Global Citizen Scholarship” Program.

The next couple of months were most wonder period of my life and I was seventh sky, the feeling of your childhood dream coming true was giving an amazing joy. But I had only dreamed of it so I never knew what was coming towards me. I had only seen things in movie, listened to the stories but never knew that the reality was way too different from what I had in my mind.

During the spring semester I had an opportunity to go participate in one of the program of The Washington Center for 15 weeks, which I call as a Lifetime in DC. There I had a wonderful opportunity to work in one of the fortune 500 company along with getting involved in a civic engagement program and also study under one of the most experienced persons of their respective field. Apart from regular schedule I was also part of Model APEC and got a real life experience of international conference. This program was one of the best program from which every international students learn the about the America’s political, business, legal and civil environment and become part of such a multi-cultural experience that he can be a proud Prudential Foundation Global Citizen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment